The two sectional rehearsals went very well. If you missed your sectional, please check with someone in your section to find out what you missed. There are a lot of editorial changes in the Mozart, and we added bowings to the Dousa.
Things to work on for Monday:
- Dousa – try to get all of the 16th note runs cleanly under your fingers at quarter=120
- Rimsky-Korsakov: you might want to check out a recording or video of the piece to get a sense of the overall structure. Here’s a YouTube video: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RpIqBsQNX4k. We’ll be working on the beginning up to letter V.
Some general thoughts about style for the Mozart:
- light, precise playing
- always aim for the most beautiful tone possible. Avoid scratching and overblowing.
- taper the ends of phrases and at cadences. Do a slight diminuendo rather than a crescendo or accent.
- articulations in fast tempos should generally be staccato for 8th notes, and a little separation (but not fully staccato) on quarter notes.
- if in doubt, choose softer/shorter over louder/longer
For Mozart on Monday we will be focusing mainly on the first and last movements. We’ll still play movements 2 and 3, but the outer movements need the most attention.
The rehearsal order will be:
See you Monday!